Monday, June 23, 2014

Pick a Theme and Stick with It!

I've been teaching for over 26 years.  When I first found out that I had gotten my job, I wanted to create a classroom that was all my own.  My own little happy spot.  Back then, there was no Pintrest or Internet, so I had to get really creative on my own.  Here are some ideas that have really helped me over the year.

Pick a color combination and stick with it.  I have chosen red, white and blue in my classroom.  It is kind of timeless.  The color doesn't matter.  I have friend that have chosen pink classrooms.  The great thing about this is that you can keep the decorations, pictures, charts and any crafts that you make for your classroom year after year.  You can add to the menagerie each year.  This also allows you the freedom to add a trendier piece to the mix.  Then in the summer you just have to refurbish. Take away the things that are worn out and add a few new things.

I have had a red white and blue classroom for six years.  I keep it fresh by adding a few surprises.  I love Hello Kitty with a red bow.  She looks great in my room.  One year Angry birds were the rage.  I added them to the mix.  Last year I needed a little chevron since it was the bee's knees.  Just a few fresh items and the room looked new and exciting.  If you try to make a different theme every year, you will spend a mint and the room may never be the work of art that you see on Pintrest.


Use fabric to cover your bulletin boards. Believe it or not, fadeless paper does fade. One of the great things about material is that it doesn't show staple marks like paper does.  I have had this material on my boards for six years.  It is still bright. I'm not allowed to paint my walls I wanted to add some color so I took felt and hung it on the wall with Command hook and loop stickies.  Now I have the stars and stripes on my wall.  This is the area where I post my anchor charts.  I put Velcro on the back of my charts and then hang them on the red felt.

My desks are arranged so that I or my coteachers can sit in the middle and work with individuals are small groups of students.  I have used this for the past two years and it has worked like a dream!

One of the important things I try to keep in mind is that the room doesn't need to be too stimulating. My extra decorations are above the lockers and cabinets.  I try to make sure that everything the kids are seeing has a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment